Beacon Press: Jobs & Internships
Jobs & Internships
Beacon Press is owned and operated under the auspices of the Unitarian Universalist
Association and is an equal opportunity employer. Beacon Press values a diverse
Sales and Marketing Associate (posted May 9, 2013)
Basic Purpose: Responsible for House Sales (Special/Organizations, Author, UUA), Community Building, and Sales Support.
- House Sales: Responsible for house sales to the UUA, Global Ministries, authors, and author-affiliated and partner organizations.
- Community Building: Responsible for developing and nurturing relationships with like-minded organizations to sell our books in bulk or though affiliate programs on our web site and to promote our books and authors to readers through online communities.
- Academic Marketing: Responsible for preparation, execution, and analysis of academic marketing plans for paperback reprints and select new hardcovers. May be required to organize and attend 1-2 academic conferences per year as an exhibitor.
- Author and Publicity Promo Support: Creates easel cards, flyers, and postcards as needed for author appearances and outreach.
- Develops seasonal sales plan for select new and backlist books in consultation with marketing team and editors; follows up on organization leads from authors; targets, solicits, negotiates, and closes sales; sends correspondence and support materials; follows up with phone calls.
- UUA Marketing: Identifies opportunities to sell books through the UUA. Responsible for sales through UUA Bookstore; makes seasonal appointments with Bookstore Manager to review upcoming books and select titles for annual catalog; works with Bookstore Manager on Beacon’s presence at GA, Provides support to UU congregations, bookstores and tables; books space, writes copy, and designs ads for UU World print and online; creates enewsletter for UUs; works with UU communities to promote Beacon books through social media, affiliate programs, and congregational mailings.
- Other Responsibilities: Acts as back up to sales assistant on author appearances as needed; coordinates outreach to specialty trade accounts including African American, feminist, progressive, and religious bookstores.
- General Marketing: Participates and contributes to overall marketing effort on all Beacon Press titles through regularly scheduled department, marketing and launch meetings. May also be asked to set up and run Beacon exhibits at other trade shows and scholarly exhibits.
Reports to: Senior Marketing Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Marketing Department Intern
Requirements: Individual must have BA; Excellent organizing, multi-tasking, customer service, good math, and communication (both oral and written) skills. At least one to two years experience in bookselling, publishing, marketing, sales, or non-profit outreach of some kind. Computer skills must be excellent, especially in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and web. Knowledge of Quark, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver is helpful.
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to Alyssa Hassan, senior marketing manager, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Beacon values a diverse workforce; people with disabilities, folks of color, and those who identify as L/G/B/T/Q are strongly encouraged to apply.